While I understand what Kant is
attempting to do with his philosophy, to create a set of rules that one should
always follow, no matter the circumstance, I feel like this implies a black and
white nature of morality, while we live in a world of shades of gray. Kant’s
philosophy seems to be intended for a different world, his ‘kingdom of ends’
could not logically exist in this world, because I believe that people are more
morally controlled by their consciences than their duty. Like Plato’s hierarchy
of the state, the kingdom of ends is an impossible dream in which the citizens robotically
follow the categorical imperative. However I believe that every real individual
is far too complex to blindly follow their duty and duty alone, and will naturally
deviate from Kant’s plan to follow their emotions/passions in certain times in
their lives. Kant’s version of deontological ethics seems the most removed from
true humanity, forgetting that people are emotional and creative beings who
would not be satisfied just following their duty.
Kant’s dismissal of consequences
also bothers me, as it assumes that the outcome of an action has not value as
long as the action in itself was good. We have brought up the axe murderer
example more times than I can count, but I still think that it shows exactly
the problem of Kant’s strict rules. To tell the truth to a murderer just
because lying is wrong goes against a person’s instinct, Kant is telling his
students that they must go against every fiber of their being and tell the
truth to this psycho killer, when they are all too aware of the horrific
outcome. This example and those similar has lowered my opinion of Kant’s
philosophy, as to completely disregard the consequences of one’s actions while
making moral choices is pretty much absurd.
Kant believes that because we
cannot know the future outcomes of our actions, we should not base our actions
on supposed ‘good’ results, however I disagree. While humans are not precognitive,
we do learn through our past experiences, and like Aristotle said, this
phronesis is able to help guide us through our moral actions. We can look at
examples of the past and see how they turned out, either positively or
negatively, and then apply them to situations in our future. Kant doesn't
address our ability to do so, because once again negates all weight of the consequences
of our actions. I believe that looking at each situation as a unique case, and
then deciding on a moral choice from there, as they do in Virtue Ethics and
Utilitarianism, is a more natural way to go about making ethical decisions.
This post has basically been me
hating on Kant, so maybe there’s something I’m not getting about his
philosophy. Is it supposed to be purely theoretical, not applied? How did he
reach these conclusions if he’s been around other people and surely understands
human emotions and rationale? I feel as if though while writing this, Kant
disregarded all he had learned about people and simply stated that to be happy
we must follow maxims at all times, even if we are 99% sure that an outcome
will be disastrous.
I completely agree with you. Kant is one of the most well-known philosophers, but why? Just because he imposed impossible standards upon the world does not make him a brilliant thinker - in fact, I believe the opposite is true. I would love to find someone who actually ascribes to Kant's ethical theories and ask him exactly what drew him to the categorical imperative. Perhaps it was the desire to seem morally superior to his animalistic peers, who dared to weigh the consequences of their actions and examine all factors in a situation. Kant may give us the easy way out when making an ethical decision, but rarely will that decision be a logical one - or even the right one.
ReplyDeleteWhen i think about the philosophy of Kant and his views on the consequences of actions I think it all comes done to an argument of conformity. If everyone were act in accordance with their duty the consequences would not matter since everyone would work in conjunction with each other. It brings kind of a Brave New World feel to it where the only way this could be possible is if everyone were a humanized cog mindlessly doing what they must.
ReplyDelete