"Always remember to consider the consequences of your actions", said every parent, teacher, priest (pretty much any authority figure in society) ever! From our earliest years spent in this world on into adulthood, we as civilized human beings are taught to "think" before we "do", in hopes that our ultimate decision in any given situation, will lead to the positive effect. Looking at it objectively, this concept seems simple enough. It wouldn't make sense to cross a traffic, condensed street without first taking a moment to evaluate the situation to determine whether or not it is safe to walk across the road. The ideal and obvious decision would be to refrain from j-walking, thus resulting in the positive consequence of not getting hit by a car, and what sane person would argue that decision? However, if we put the theory of "think before you sink" (one of many rhyme variations of the concept that I was taught in school), when applied to far more serious situations, this concept can get really complex. For instance, I am a pretty regular attendee of my church service. Having been raised in a christian household and having attended a christian, religiously affiliated high school, the rituals and traditions of my religion are like second nature to me. While it is significantly more accepted to just say that the reason I pray every night or the reason that I attend church service every morning is simply that I am an avid believer in Christ and entirely devoted to shaping my life around my religion, could I really make that statement honestly and wholeheartedly? I am a believer in Christ and I do find comfort and meaning in my personal relationship with the God that I worship, but honestly, sometimes I just participate in these activities because it is routine and it is and has always been what I am supposed to do as a "good christian". If I didn't go to church, I would be faced with the scrutiny of my family and church community coupled with my own internal guilt. So, where exactly does this put me on the moral spectrum? I'm a believer in Christ because I choose to be; that is a point that I want to make clear. However, is my decision to attend church with my family every Sunday and enthusiastically participate in chapel activities during the school day a reflection of genuine, personal morals? Could it be that the opinions of God and others upon me drive my actions? In class, we have debated whether or not moral decisions characteristic of humane authenticity or whether they are in existence solely based on the consequences that follow them. The later hypothesis is something that many people, including myself, would have a hard time accepting of themselves. What are your thoughts on this?
-Jessica Ealy

No comments:
Post a Comment