Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Teological Interpretation of Kant's Moral Philosophy



It is clear that there is a deontological aspect to Kant’s moral philosophy, however, I wanted to explore the proposal of a Teleological interpretation most notably expressed by Barbara Herman in her work The Practice of Moral Judgment (1993) and first presented to me by the author Robert Johnson. As a refresher, Deontological ethics is a normative system – system for assessing rightness and wrongness of action in regard to what one ought to do (as opposed to what one does do or how one thinks about moral facts) – which regards which moral choices are “required,forbidden, or permitted.” In other words, it concerns itself with duty – what one ought to do derived from its accordance with a rule or set of rules – and not with what character one has or ought to have; or what would give the actor the best outcome. Something is teleological, by contrast, when it grounds its theories in the concepts of ends – such as the end of my action is the good or goodness, and therefore I act in accordance with that which will enable me to attain that end (goodness).

Now, my idea for the content of the end differs, but Herman’s argues (and this is very much paraphrased) that though Kant has duty as a part of his system, there is no rationale for an adherence to it unless it was the case that we will ourselves to follow it. In other words, what rational explanation can we have for doing one’s duty unless that in itself is good or valued and therefore willed by us? In response, a supporter of deontological ethics would most likely state that Kant insists that moral requirements are given their power by their nature of being willed by us, in so far as we are rational, and this is not contingent on the value that willing might have; but, as Johnson points out, how does this answer for the motivation of willing them in the first place? [Johnson, Robert, "Kant's Moral Philosophy", The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

My inclination is to side with Paul Guyer that [our] autonomy is the value which causes us to will moral requirements [Kant's Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals: Critical Essays. 1998]. I do not feel comfortable saying that I agree wholly with Guyer however, as I have yet to understand the intricacies of his arguments, but I can say that I believe that it is by result of the fact that we are autonomous beings (at least in Kant’s system), and we value that autonomy, that we suddenly must recognize a need to change our behavior – appeal to moral principles and so on  -- (whether for the individual it is the result of want to preserve our autonomy or out of a feeling of responsibility it may place upon us – both of which are derived from it as a valuable thing). In other words, I have a reverence for the law because I value my autonomy and will not will anyone else to not have autonomy as a universal maxim since that would contradict my own motivation/actions and I can not agree with such as a rational agent. In this light, it can therefore be argued that Kant’s ethics contains a teleological aspect (the value on our autonomy which motivates our will/maxims) and is not simply a system of deontological ethics (which would otherwise threaten the practicality of Kant’s moral philosophy and could be seen as quite hollow without regarding the importance of something that drives the will).

However, this is just the base argument which I believe still needs to fleshed out. What do you think? Is there any way we can argue to adhere to duty when we are not given a motive for the will to do its willing? Is autonomy that value which should be of most concern in a teleological interpretation of Kant? If you agree with me (and Herman and Guyer for that matter) how do you respond to the question of how the will's autonomy explains the authority of morality asked by Johnson?

3 comments:

  1. Hegel would agree that two entities wouldn't have any common grounds upon which to discuss anything until they recognize each other's freedom/autonomy. When two autonomous entities do not recognize each other’s freedoms, all they do is fight for dominance; nothing gets done as a consequence. Since I’ve not read Guyer so I wouldn’t know for sure, but we could use Hegel’s idea to produce a response for Guyer.
    We could argue that the recognition of autonomy in other agent is the prerequisite for our having duties and we act upon duties so that we can preserve this mutual recognition. The process is a cycle and cannot be tilted one way to say it is only for the preservation of our recognition of autonomy that we act upon reason. We are all autonomous beings to begin with and all we need is to recognize others as autonomous beings. This mutual recognition of autonomy is what is in need of preserving instead of the actual autonomy of agents.
    In this formulation, the objection does not make Kant's moral ethics teleological. I act upon our first maxim, which is that others are autonomous beings and that I must act in a way that’s consistent with my belief that others are autonomous beings. All of my actions start from the motivation of following my duty of doing whatever follows from my maxim – which is another way of saying I need to be consistent within my system of beliefs. My second belief is that I have the duty to act a way that follows my maxims, and fighting constantly with others to assert dominance is not consistent with my belief that others are autonomous beings. To be consistent within these beliefs, I need to act from my duties. I guess you could say that the “telos” of our actions is to be consistent with our beliefs; but it would not make sense because this position suggests that actions come before beliefs. Our beliefs must first be consistent in order for us to formulate our maxims. If we do not first make our beliefs consistent, we really cannot say that we are moral agents in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan,
    Before I get to the heart of my response, I would like to point out some things that immediately came to mind while reading your blog. Restating your view,
    “In other words, I have a reverence for the law because I value my autonomy and will not will anyone else to not have autonomy as a universal maxim since that would contradict my own motivation/actions and I can not agree with such as a rational agent. In this light, it can therefore be argued that Kant’s ethics contains a teleological aspect (the value on our autonomy which motivates our will/maxims) and is not simply a system of deontological ethics (which would otherwise threaten the practicality of Kant’s moral philosophy and could be seen as quite hollow without regarding the importance of something that drives the will).”

    There are two issues I see here that I would like to bring to your attention.

    (1) It is not clear what Telos you are arguing for. Is that we value autonomy and the end for which we act is this autonomy? That is, do we will for the sake of willing? I’m not sure what you could mean other than this.

    (2) Though you are arguing for a Telos, you are not able to do it without appealing to Kant’s Categorical Imperative, which itself is derived from duty and the idea that one should do as one ought do. It does not seem this Teleological approach can stand if you are using deontology to capture it. If this is the case, would it not be that you are actually supporting a view that deontology is, at the very least, presupposed for Teleology in Kant’s system? And wouldn’t this mean that there really is not a teleological aspect at all?



    ReplyDelete
  3. With that out of the way, you bring up some interesting points, and these have sparked some ideas about Kant’s philosophy that may help us answer your questions. Most notably, you bring up two questions, inadvertently or with intent, that I would like to address.

    (1) Why do we will anything at all?
    (2) What is the motivation of for anything that we will?


    Regarding the first question, I believe that Kant does not address this issue. At the very least, we have not talked about it and I have not noticed it in his work thus far. His purpose in the Groundwork is not to discover why we will at all, but what constitutes the moral worth of an action. Besides, asking the question why we will at all seems insignificant, though it is an interesting question. It is simply that we employ the will so much. We seem to exercise it by the very act of being alive. We do it so much that the consideration of why we exercise the will pales in comparison to the question what motivates the things that we will. Or according to Kant, the question of what should motivate the things that we will.
    (Please bear with me through this summary in light of the second question)
    Kant is searching for a pure moral philosophy, a Metaphysics of Morals. In other words, he is searching for a moral philosophy that is independent of experience and is entirely a priori. Towards this goal, he recognizes that some experience is needed for a sense of refined judgment in determining such a pure moral philosophy. He then connects moral worth to an idea of duty. He claims that adherence to duty must be what constitutes the moral worth of any action. Kant shows that this must be the case by presenting two scenarios. One in which someone’s action could possibly be motivated by inclination and another in which the person’s action could not possibly have been done out of inclination. Through this juxtaposition, Kant hopes to make it clear that we do not act out of inclination alone. Rather, we act in regard to some overarching a priori principle.

    Kant is arguing that duty is something separate from inclination. Here, it is important to understand what Kant intends by inclination. I am not certain myself, but I think it includes anything that could be done for beneficial reasons. You could try to argue that Kant’s deontology is essentially Teleology with the end of adhering to duty. But this idea of duty is so far from any usual Telos, that it seems Kant may be right in his view of reverence to self-imposed law. That is, duty is adhered to regardless of the happiness it brings or does not bring, and is not strived for out of respect for inherent goodness. Probably the most important thing to recognize is that Kant believes that this idea of duty is a priori, self-imposed, and fundamental. By its status as an a prior notion, duty comes prior to any notion of an end to our action. That is, duty is separate from a Telos.

    I know I did not answer the questions you have explicitly laid before us, but I hope this provides some insight to the issues presented in your post.

    ReplyDelete