But what do you do when you find yourself in a situation outside the ontological scope of these pithy yet somewhat trite sayings? In class, we tend to forget about the quotidian; it is always all, what do you do if a person (probably Hitler) has a gun to your head, telling you to a press a BIG RED button you know will blow up an entire Arts & Sciences building, full of people who have been warned but of course have no way to get out? These kinds of examples are exciting, dramatic, full of CONSEQUENCE. At quarter till twelve, or whatever it is, we all exit the room, exhausted by the weight of it. We've either saved or condemned people to die or the reality of their obesity. Clearly, these big, massive, impact-charged examples have their corollaries in the every day; we can boil them down to terms, like honesty, temperance, et al. The more logic prone can build formulas for RIGHTNESS. But, I for one often forget to translate those terms into the banality of my own life. Sometimes, through my isolation, I forget to take into consideration, into account, what aught to be done. I get away with being alone, being out for myself. I use online comment sections as cathartic shouting arenas, hidden behind a pseudonym, feeling a-responsible. At this point, I've forgotten about my Ethics class from earlier. In this post, I'm arguing for a new trajectory, one that takes into account that we aren't all Presidents, POWs, or Fascist Dictators. We have common power that nonetheless does damage to others, in small ways, in seemingly innocuous ones. I want to know whether or not I'm morally required to respond to all EIGHTEEN of your text messages, or whether I aught to go to this or that person's birthday party even though I don't know/like them, or whether I should return all of the books that I've become at this point quite attached to after a relationship falls apart. Most things aren't life threatening but everything deals in ethics. Even when the stakes aren't too high, we must consider, we must reflect, we must try to empathize--all before we act.
Friday, September 20, 2013
An Argument for the Mundane
But what do you do when you find yourself in a situation outside the ontological scope of these pithy yet somewhat trite sayings? In class, we tend to forget about the quotidian; it is always all, what do you do if a person (probably Hitler) has a gun to your head, telling you to a press a BIG RED button you know will blow up an entire Arts & Sciences building, full of people who have been warned but of course have no way to get out? These kinds of examples are exciting, dramatic, full of CONSEQUENCE. At quarter till twelve, or whatever it is, we all exit the room, exhausted by the weight of it. We've either saved or condemned people to die or the reality of their obesity. Clearly, these big, massive, impact-charged examples have their corollaries in the every day; we can boil them down to terms, like honesty, temperance, et al. The more logic prone can build formulas for RIGHTNESS. But, I for one often forget to translate those terms into the banality of my own life. Sometimes, through my isolation, I forget to take into consideration, into account, what aught to be done. I get away with being alone, being out for myself. I use online comment sections as cathartic shouting arenas, hidden behind a pseudonym, feeling a-responsible. At this point, I've forgotten about my Ethics class from earlier. In this post, I'm arguing for a new trajectory, one that takes into account that we aren't all Presidents, POWs, or Fascist Dictators. We have common power that nonetheless does damage to others, in small ways, in seemingly innocuous ones. I want to know whether or not I'm morally required to respond to all EIGHTEEN of your text messages, or whether I aught to go to this or that person's birthday party even though I don't know/like them, or whether I should return all of the books that I've become at this point quite attached to after a relationship falls apart. Most things aren't life threatening but everything deals in ethics. Even when the stakes aren't too high, we must consider, we must reflect, we must try to empathize--all before we act.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I think what is most interesting about your post is how close it is to how the majority of people live their 'ethical' lives. Very few people have the ability or desire to sit in an ethics class debating whether they would press the giant button if someone had a gun to their head. However, most people get invited to parties they don't want to go to, have to spurn advances they aren't interested in, etc. I think empathy is necessary for people to live social lives, however I'm not sure if it is necessary for all ethical decisions. Take the overused example of a friend asking if they look good in the dress they want to purchase: too much empathy and you should probably tell them they look fantastic-even if they don't. However, if what you're advocating is more of a general 'don't be an ass hole' kind of ethics, I think it would be hard to find many people who disagree.
ReplyDelete